Ranger v Assassin

After the somewhat controversial ranger’s stance rework, ricochet buff, multi arrow nerf, shadow flurry buff and changes, it is time to decide, (as of 29/3, 2020) is assassin or ranger better? Go debate, everyone.

OP’s opinion: I feel that assassin has a sight edge as shadow flurry is the highest damaging skill in game (slightly hard to land in pvp), can go invisible and regenerate stamina and go hit and run with step through shadow in pvp. I do agree that shadow flurry has a bit high mp cost but the damage is worth it. Also, remember, assassins still have access to bows.

Even though ricochet’s CD has been nerfed, the damage is not enough to do sufficient damage. Yes, ranger’s stance is a good skill, but I honestly don’t find myself using it as much as the old ranger’s stance. Hail of arrows is a good move though.

4 Likes

trickster’s better (jk)

1 Like

[Enter trickster clown meme here]

CURRENTLY shadow flurry may as well be assassin’s only form of DPS when using a dagger if trying to compete with a ranger. assassins do not want to use bows, and it sucks that they have to if they want consistent DPS. oftentimes, their bow DPS is nothing against Ranger’s abilities (Ranger’s Stance, Hail of Arrows). movement is the only perk of assassin, and they need it if they don’t want to die. assassin is extremely unreliable at close-range combat and it should get a significant DPS buff, an hp buff (80% --> 90% hp), and a movement nerf in place of that.

however, i don’t see the reason in arguing right now due to the new ability system completely reworking everything that has to do with abilities.

1 Like

True, but I honestly don’t like the new ability point rework.

Imo assassin doesn’t need a movement nerf at all due to the assassin archetype being glass cannon and/or fragile speedster

1 Like

I honestly chose assassin for its invis, i still use a bow and still am rocking a bow to this day, step through shadow is insanely broken with the bow

1 Like

assassin is meant to be used with daggers though, and i feel like that isn’t emphasized enough. shadow walk + using a bow is quite a good damage buff every 6 seconds or so, though it should not be.

1 Like

The damage is multiplied by 4x, maybe 1 shot ranger could be a thing with it

1 Like

a movement nerf in place of that because otherwise assassin could be far ahead of the pack in terms of overall viability. dps is more important than moving quick, after all.

1 Like

invis is stronger than you think, also has tp :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah but still, I chose assassin to be fast, and a movement nerf is something I despise a lot.

1 Like

at this rate, movement will never be more important than dps. notice how i asked for a slight movement nerf, not a large one. i’m sure that most assassins are willing to sacrifice a little bit of speed to be more viable during this meta.

i get that going fast is fun, but there is no reason to play assassin right now. a better single target class would be ranger and they also have pretty good vertical and horizontal range with hail of arrows. an assassin only has a low horizontal range, burst DPS ability and two movement abilities. that’s not how you make a powerful subclass that competes in DPS with the likes of berserkers.

1 Like

Depends on the distance between combatants and the layout of the terrain. Neither is necessarily “better” or “worse”, they’re both good in their own way.

1 Like