How you do guys feel about COPPA (Children's Online Privacy and Protection Act)?

For those of you who don’t know, heres a pretty good break down of COPPA. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children

It doesn’t really effect me since I’m not on youtube as much as the last 2 years

Well, in that case, if you have any favorite videos/youtubers you want to watch you better start catching up because under COPPA people can be fined up to $55,000 PER VIDEO!

wait doesn’t this law only effect American youtubers?

I think so. I know it can’t be enforced in Canada.

According to the reaction youtubers from other countries have, the FTC can ban your youtube channel from the US if you don’t live there but violate COPPA

I believe COPPA should be changed so that the parents decide about data collection (which is inevitable on the Internet), so the companies and especially content creators don’t have to babysit their viewers

the problem is the FTC is relying on subjective judgement to enforce an online privacy act which leaves content creators responsible

The US government moves slow when something important needs to be done but are quick as hell when there’s an opportunity to screw over people for money.

Some youtubers I watch started to not censor out the swearing in order to prove that their content is now not kid friendly